We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Vegan CRU.
Chickenless ~n~ Dumplings (vegan & gluten, soy, refined sugar free)
Chickenless ~n~ Dumplings is vegan, and gluten, soy, refined sugar free. Growing up Texan makes this a staple in most homes. I hardly ever hear people talking about chicken and dumplings, which is sad. If there is a wintery or rainy day, you better believe I am going to make this dish.Print Pin Rate
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free baking mix
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking soda
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro or green onions thinly chopped
- 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar with the mother
- 2 tbsp organic ground flax seeds
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 1 large organic yellow onion chopped
- 2 large ribs organic celery chopped
- 8 baby organic carrots slap chopped
- 5 cloves organic garlic
- 1 tbsp organic olive oil extra virgin
- 1 14 oz can Native Forrest Jackfruit rinsed, drained, and shredded
- First, we need to make the dumplings and get that out of the way. Start by making the flax egg (ground flaxseed and water). Then, make the vegan buttermilk by adding the apple cider vinegar to the unsweetened non-dairy milk.
- Mix all of the other dumpling ingredients together and then add the flax egg. Stir well. Next, add the vegan buttermilk and mix thoroughly. The dumplings will be a gooey substance. That's perfect!
- Second, we need to get the saute going. Add all of the saute veggies and the olive oil to a pan and saute until tender (4-5 minutes). Turn the heat off.
- Next, we will shred up that organic jackfruit and move onto the making the gravy.
- In making the gravy, we want to add the olive oil and coconut oil to a stock/soup pot (5-7 quarts). Next, add the gluten free flour. This makes a thickening agent for the gravy. After it has formed a paste, slowly add one cup of the broth and make sure the lumps are stirred out. Then, you can add the rest of the veggie broth.
- After the gravy, we can now add in our saute, chickenless, spices, and corn.
- Finally, we can add the dumplings. I add the dumplings in 1/2-1 tablespoon portions. This makes the dumplings not too big and not too small. Cook on medium heat for about 25-30 minutes to ensure the dumplings are cooked through.
- To serve you can add: 1/2 tablespoon of green onions or cilantro (or parsley if you prefer that) to the individual servings.
Chickenless ~n~ Dumplings is a very hearty, and filling soup. My mom and grandma made chicken and dumplings all while I was growing up and into my adulthood. My mom probably still makes it...I am not sure though, as I live 1500+ miles away from home.